Translation

May 11, 2014 at 4:45 AM
Is there any way I can translate everything from Dutch to English? I can't mod something I want to mod because everything's in a different language :)
May 11, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Edited May 19, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Removed by author :)
Coordinator
May 15, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Why everything is in Dutch;
Some time ago I built in a function into SCP that allows for pulling instance names from the locale files; everything that has either an agent name or unit name will be identified using the in-game name using this option. Since SimCity doesn't allow for changing languages (something I think is rather stupid, but that's beside the point), I only have the Dutch locale file available, so in the SCP default database everything is in Dutch.

How you can change the descriptions into your own language;
In the SimCityPak settings page, you can select your locale file. This will make sure that any names will be pulled from there. To also update the names in the database, you can then use the 'Tools -> Load Instance Names' option to populate the database with names loaded from the locale file for the package file that's currently opened.
Marked as answer by oppie on 5/15/2014 at 12:45 AM
May 19, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Instructions don't work. Tools -> Load Instance Names leads to crash as documented in issue at https://simcitypak.codeplex.com/workitem/1631

I've found a way to overcome the crash, but even so it doesn't do what you suggest that it should, which I've reported at https://simcitypak.codeplex.com/workitem/1632

For now, here is the link to my translated database_user.s3db file. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78440637/database_user.s3db

We really need to get this locale thing working, and well documented. Lots of people want to use this tool, and it would be helpful if we can understand it.
May 19, 2014 at 9:08 PM
Edited May 19, 2014 at 9:09 PM
oppie wrote:
Why everything is in Dutch;
Some time ago I built in a function into SCP that allows for pulling instance names from the locale files; everything that has either an agent name or unit name will be identified using the in-game name using this option. Since SimCity doesn't allow for changing languages (something I think is rather stupid, but that's beside the point), I only have the Dutch locale file available, so in the SCP default database everything is in Dutch.

How you can change the descriptions into your own language;
In the SimCityPak settings page, you can select your locale file. This will make sure that any names will be pulled from there. To also update the names in the database, you can then use the 'Tools -> Load Instance Names' option to populate the database with names loaded from the locale file for the package file that's currently opened.
When I did this, it crashed SCP as well for me.
Coordinator
May 22, 2014 at 9:10 AM
Ah, indeed there's still something wrong with the import - I only just now noticed that the code that is supposed to read instance names from the locale file is commented out due to me using the same menu option for a similar function back when guillaume provided me with a text file containing hundreds of property ids.

In any case, this problem will be solved in the next release, which will most likely be this saturday.
May 22, 2014 at 9:21 AM
Thank you for your feedback :) Looking forward to it. I'm actually starting to have a lot more fun with SimCity2013 now that I can mod the game :D
Dec 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Has this ever been fixed? Once I hit the load instance names button my HDD starts crunching like crazy but never actually loads anything and I have to kill the program. Cheers!
Dec 10, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Ok nvm, after 4 tries it suddenly worked. Just wait I guess :)